
I am grateful for crockpots. This morning I threw this recipe together:
Calico Ham and Bean Soup
1/2 cup dry navy or Great Northern beans
1/2 cup dry black beans or kidney beans
1/2 cup dry lima beans
1/2 cup dry garbanzo beans
1/2 cup dry green split peas
6 cups water
2 cups fully cooked ham cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 cup chopped onion
1 cup chopped carrot
1 tsp dried basil, crushed
1 tsp dried oregano, crushed
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp pepper
2 bay leaves
6 cups water
Rinse beans and peas: drain. In a large saucepan combine the beans, peas, and 6 cups water. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes. Drain and rinse beans and peas.
Meanwhile, in a 3 1/2, 4-, or 5-quart crockery cooker combine ham, onion, carrot, basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and bay leaves. Stir in drained beans, peas, and 6 cups fresh water.
Cover; cook on low-heat setting for 8-10 hours or on high-heat setting for 4-5 hours. Discard the bay leaves. Season to taste with additional salt and pepper. Makes 8 servings.
Since I got dinner ready this morning, I was able to do a TON around the house that I usually don't have time to do since I am preparing dinner. Yay for crockpots!


3 comments:
Nice...I need you at my house:)
that sounds like the perfect meal for a perfect fall night! yumm-o! and easy too! gonna have to try this one!
Yum! Thanks for the recipe :)
Post a Comment