Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The Black Sheep



No I'm not calling Obama "the black sheep." I am in fact referring to myself. This is Billy, not Holli. I am the black sheep, not Holli, and not Obama. How are we doing? Off to a good start? All right then.

So today as Holli was sitting here reading over the thousands of blogs that she peruses daily, I caught a glimpse of a post by one of our former ward members. It caught my eye enough that I felt inclined to go back and read it for myself (by the way...click here to read it) and I have to say that Megan, I couldn't agree more.

I have been a closet Obama fan for the past 15 or so months. I have read so many articles, interviews, and transcrips from speechs made by this man that it sickens me. So why the closet fan? Because I come from Republican Central. My close family (on both sides) as well as many of my neighbors and friends are some of the most Republican people I have ever met (welcome to Utah). I've heard plenty of "facts" about how Obama is a terrorist, how he will change the national anthem into a rap song, and even how he is the prophesied "Anti-Christ" (not making that one up). The very few times I have spoken up for Obama I have been met with near tyraids from those who think I may have lost my mind. Well guess what...I've heard what you have told me about Obama, and I've heard from the man himself. Guess who I listened to?

Now that I've come out (wow, I would have never guessed those words would be uttered by me) I expect to get a good four years of "I told you so" from various people, and I'm sure the annonymous racial jokes that keep appearing on my cell phone won't stop. But for once in my life I listened to my head instead of those around me and I couldn't feel prouder for doing so.

4 comments:

Megan said...

Well done, Billy. Welcome to the land of misfit toys.

Mandy said...

I agree one hundred percent. I've just learned to keep my opinions to myself, since others don't like to allow me to have them. Go Obama!

French Family said...

Yay! Welcome to the club! :)

EmmaP said...

i am an obama fan. i got so sick and tired of all of the lies that were circulated via email this year. i don't base my opinions on other people's opinions... i do RESEARCH (the official sites/plateforms, etc) and use MY BRAIN to think for MYSELF. It has been interesting to hear how many people act like the world is going to come to an end now. people - our civic duty is not over yet. regardless of who the president is - we should be constantly letting our congressmen/women know what we want. we can still be a voice. we can still *PRAY* for our president and leaders. We can still teach OUR Values within OUR homes...

by the way... the word verification it wants me to enter for this comment is "culest". i guess that means this post is sooooo "cule"!!!