Lacrosse was a pretty new sport to Utah when I was in high school, and most schools didn't even have a team (there were more girl's teams than boy's at that time). I had actually never heard of lacrosse until my Junior year when posters started popping up on the walls announcing a meeting regarding a new girl's team being formed. ANYONE could join. As I just failed miserably at soccer tryouts, I thought I would give this a go.
To make a long story short, I was part of the team! My position: goalie. I have NEVER had so many bruises on my body! If you haven't ever seen a lacrosse ball, it is solid rubber, and is about the same size as a tennis ball.
So here is a new team with a bunch of girls who had never played the game (other than the coach). My Junior year we had a record of 10 wins, 1 loss, and 1 tie. And to top it off, we won the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!! My Senior year, we had about double the girls sign up to play. It was also gaining popularity around the state. That didn't stop our team from dominating! We were undefeated with 12 wins as well as winning the CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!
I didn't especially love high school, but playing lacrosse gave me so many good memories. After high school I went up to Weber State and started to play on the lacrosse team up there. But with a grueling college schedule and work, I felt I needed to drop the team.
I miss playing lacrosse SO much! I occasionally get out my sticks and make Billy play catch with me. If anyone out there ever wants to play, let me know!!

I am #3 both years...

WX LAX ROX!!
If you haven't ever seen a game of lacrosse played, check out this sweet video of highlights from the 2007 Under Armour All-American Senior Girls Game in Baltimore.


6 comments:
I want to play! I WANT TO PLAY!!!
I am so glad you posted this, it looks like you had A LOT of fun!
I'm glad you shared that Holli, because I didn't know that you played Lacrosse and won state too, how cool!!
That's hot.
that is awesome! i had no idea you played lacrosse. good times! I always look forward to your flashback fridays. I love them!
the things you learn about people you know via the blogosphere... that is so cool! the "skirts" are hilarious! (sorry!)
I love it...and I love that you played in skirts. AWESOME :)
Post a Comment