The ride down to St. George was going great. Daisie and I started talking about speeding tickets and I mentioned how I had *never* had one... that was a mistake. I totally jinxed myself! Low and behold... I got my FIRST speeding ticket ($107). Whoops. That kind of put a damper on my mood for a while, but once we got down there, things turned around. We just hung out and shopped Monday and Tuesday, and let the girls play. Then Wednesday, Hailey, my mom and I were going to head to Hurricane to see my Grandpa's brother, Ward. After that we were going to make a quick trip to Grafton (ghost town) to check that out before we made our way home.
*View from Gunnell's back porch.
*The shopping chicas - minus Daisie's mom who is taking the picture.
*Little fishies who apparently DO NOT love the jets on. They will learn...
*Ring around the rosie is always a hit!I had never met my Grandpa's brother before, but I had heard many interesting stories about him and his family. When we pulled up in front of his house, I knew I was in for a treat! He rides up to the car in his Jazzy all toothless smiles, and was "so excited to see some pretty ladies". Within the first 2 minutes of being there he already had offered us whiskey or beer! We go inside and I met his wife, Laurel who greeted us from her wheelchair. They are some of the most interesting people I have ever met, and I am glad that I had the chance to.

After we left Ward's, we went to Grafton where my Great-Grandma (my Grandpa's and Ward's mom) lived. Grafton is located right below the entrance to Zion's National Park so the scenery was beautiful. After about 4 miles of driving on a muddy road, we came to our first stop- Grafton Cemetary.


We got out and I was carrying Hailey because it was a little muddy, but not too bad. We were walking around and my mom told me not to come up towards the top because it was pretty muddy. Hailey started whining that she wanted to get down, so I let her because I didn't think it was too bad. We started walking towards the other side to take pictures, and Hailey started crying. I look over and she is sitting in a big pile of mud that had sucked her shoes off! The poor thing was covered in mud! I picked her up and my mom fished her shoe out of the mud. At this point my flip-flops were getting sucked in the mud too. We made it back to the car, stripped down Hailey, washed her off with freezing cold bottled water, and put her back in the car. We spent a little while trying to get the mud off of our shoes and finally made our way to the next stop-"downtown" Grafton.





There isn't much remaining of Grafton. 3 houses, a church/school/meeting house, and corralls where they kept the livestock. They were each really interesting to look at. Apparentley the church/school/meeting house has been used in a few movies such as Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. We walked around for a little while and took pictures. It felt a little eery with it being just my mom, Hailey and I walking around the town. I kept thinking I was going to see actual ghosts! It was really interesting to see the town where my Great-Grandma lived. I learned a lot!

I am glad we decided to go to St. George. It was such a fun trip (minus the freaking speeding ticket), but it is always nice coming home!


4 comments:
Sounds like you had a great trip! Not surprised about the speeding ticket, unfortunately. I lived down there for a couple of years, and so many people I knew got them driving back and forth!
Hey Lead Foot! I am so glad that you got to go and get away!! I love the pics of the girls playing ring around the rosies!! They are all getting so BIG!! Hope all is well!
I am so glad you got to go - it's always so nice to get away and break the routine. I LOVE the photo of the girls doing rin-around-the-rosy! So cute.
How fun...and see, I told you...that damn Murphy...if you put it out there, it will get ya' :)
Post a Comment